3 resolved samples using silk paper, handmade paper and soluble methods. For this chapter, I interpreted the cling film designs from chapter 9 and also added features from earlier work in this module, all relating back to the needlelace from the historical study. I used the Meccano frames for dipping pieces of stitching in paper pulp, but in the end decided that as I wasn’t wrapping around the frames, I would cut the samples off and keep them as flat pieces, adding more layers. My idea for 3d forms will keep for another day.
Photo 1 size guide - the three samples on an A3 sheet.
Photo 2 and photo 3 (detail). This first sample is made from 3 layers. The background is a very thin piece of silk paper that was crumpled while still wet. Next, I dribbled glue from a hot gun into water to suggest a pattern of distorted buttonhole filling and rubbed on blue acrylic paint. There were several small pieces which I piled on top of each other. Finally, it is held together with layers of loose hand stitching. This is my favourite sample of the three, I find building up the uneven surface very satisfying and I like the combination and depth of the shiny glue with the threads.
Photo 4 Lines of buttonhole stitching stretched on a frame and dipped into paper pulp. The motifs were machine stitched onto soluble fabric with loose threads scattered over it and applied to the background while still damp – there is enough glue left to adhere to the paper without further stitching. The orange and blue colours came from the chapter 9 images that had been altered in Paint Shop Pro.
Photo 5 Another piece of buttonhole filling dipped in paper pulp, but this time it was embedded between silk fibres that were then made into silk paper. I drew the motif outline onto pieces of soluble fabric and stitched french knots through it onto the silk paper, then carefully dissolved it without damaging the layers underneath. The french knots refer back to the samples made with punched holes in an earlier chapter. I think this gives an interesting soft/faded effect in contrast to the strong lines of the second sample.
Time taken for resolved samples 10 1/2 hours.