Monday, November 24, 2008

Bird Book



This weekend I went on a two day workshop with the Embroiderers' Guild, Bristol, run by Frances Pickering. Frances makes wonderful decorated books using craft vilene, gesso, stitch and paper - see her website here for examples. This is the one I made, not quite finished. I still need to add a fastening and tidy up the edges of the cover, and then think about the contents. At the moment, the pages are just washed with Brusho but the idea is to fill them with drawings, words, colour, stitch on the chosen theme. I decided on birds because I had a lovely woodblock, bought on holiday a few years ago, which I used to impress in the gesso and then stitched in places. The book cover wraps over itself, this next picture shows the back.



And here it is open to show the pages.


3 comments:

Heather said...

I am green with envy that you have been on Frances Pickerings workshop. I had her as my tutor some years back on a distance learning course with Gloscat and became a great fan of hers. Your book wrap is beautiful and I love the bird printing block you used. I am off now to visit your other blog to see what other lovely things you have been making.

Robin Mac said...

I love your book, isn't it amazing how different everything can look even when you use the same basic items? Like heather, I am now off to look at your other blog to see some more. This Maggie Grey course is introducing me to so many more bloggers, lots of fun. Cheers, Robin

Genie said...

love the bookwrap,