Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Finishing Chapter 11 Resolved Samples

I decided to concentrate on three of the samples from my previous post and leave aside the yellow one.  Firstly, photo 9 shows the 3d double-sided sample, inspired by the paper sample from chapter 9 shown in photos 10 and 11.  I had intended to copy the paper version by bending the shapes in the same way, but this didn't work well in felt ( I think it is too thick and soft - the design calls for something crisper).


Photo 9

Photo 10

Photo 11
Then the last two needle-felted samples after stitching.  I have had trouble photographing these as the colours are so delicate - there is more contrast in real life.  Photo 12  - the shapes have been heavily hand-stitched so they seem to grow out of the background.

Photo 12

Photo 13 - the slips have been secured in place with a scattering of detached chain stitches and more stitching has been added to the background.

Photo 13

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love these pieces. The shapes and colours are so pleasing.

Angie Willis said...

These are really beautiful. I love the way you've made it look as if the shapes have grown out of the background. I wonder if I'll ever get this far on the course! I had problems with all the links on your website Links page by the way.