Saturday, July 09, 2016

Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt

My last post was all about the quilt raffle I am holding to support my daughter's fundraising for Tearfund -  see
http://jinny-gallimaufry.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/quilt-raffle.html
for details of how to enter - and as promised, here's a peek behind the scenes.

I decided to use fabrics from my stash so I pulled out lots of bits and pieces in soft vintage-ish colours, mainly shades of cream and pinky-brown, with a few bits of blue thrown in. Some of the fabrics have strawberries and patchwork imagery, making me think of afternoon tea on the lawn.

Step one - sorting the fabrics into colour value order.


Then trying out arrangements for the nine patch blocks.


 The quilt uses the disappearing nine patch technique, which is new to me.  I have collected lots of images and tutorials on my patchwork and quilting board on Pinterest so do go and have a look.  the general idea is to make a nine patch block, cut it into quarters, rearrange and reassemble.  So you end up with blocks containing large squares, small squares and rectangles which create complex patterns when you join them.


 Laying out blocks.

I machine quilted using lots of separate motifs - they show up more on the back - and brought the blue to the front with a self binding.

 The finshed quilt front
 and back.

No comments: